Some of the more interesting R&B-related news and rumors from the past week:
- More than 12 years after she died in a plane crash, a 'new' song by Aaliyah has emerged. The track, which is called "Enough Said" and features rapper-singer Drake, is rumored to be the first single from an upcoming Drake-produced album of previously unreleased Aaliyah songs.
- Anita Baker has just released her first single in seven years: a remake of "Lately," which was a hit for Tyrese back in the late '90s. It's from her upcoming project, Only Forever, which is set for release Oct. 23 via the Blue Note label.
- Elle Varner's debut album, Perfectly Imperfect, is projected to debut in the top 10 on the upcoming Billboard albums chart. Industry sources say it will sell between 25,000 and 30,000 copies in its first week out.
- Skincare company Nivea has dropped Rihanna as a spokesperson because the company's new boss has decided that her image is "too sexy" for the brand.
- Beyonce performed at the United Nations building in New York City as part of promotional efforts for World Humanitarian Day, which is Aug. 19.
- The Floacist, who was one half of the defunct neo-Soul duo Floetry, is reviving the group under a new name: 'Floetry Re: Birth.'
- R&B singer Jeremih, who's best known for his novelty hit "Birthday Sex," has just released a free new mixtape online.
- R. Kelly says he's written 30 new chapters in his ongoing "Trapped in the Closet" series of soap opera-ish songs.