Some of the more interesting R&B-related news and rumors from the past week:
- Due to health reasons, Maxwell has had to cancel a short summer tour he was scheduled to go on in July. The six shows on the itinerary were scrapped due to Max developing problems with his vocal cords. Anyone who bought tickets can receive a refund at the point of purchase.
- To no one's surprise, Usher's latest album, Looking 4 Myself, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart. It sold 128,000 copies in its first week, according to the magazine. This is his fourth No. 1 album overall.
- R&B bad boy Bobby Brown has gotten married for the second time. He and fiancee/manager Alicia Etheridge tied the knot June 18 in Honolulu, less than 24 hours after he performed in a New Edition concert.
- Ex-Pretty Ricky member Pleasure P., who left the group for a solo career in 2007, has signed a deal with the eOne Music label. He has a new single out and an album dropping in September.
- 1990s R&B singer Monifah said in a recent interview that she fell off the music scene for a number of years because she went into a deep depression and started using drugs and alcohol.
- D'Angelo's upcoming album will represent a "radical 180 (degree) turn" from his previous music, according to musician-producer Questlove of hip-hop band the Roots.
- Brandy says that when she was a teenager, she used to try to be the perfect person and was always trying to please everybody until she eventually matured out of it.
- Chris Brown, R. Kelly, Ne-Yo, Trey Songz and Brandy are among the R&B artists expected to release new albums during the summer of 2012.