1. Entertainment

Music: Raphael Saadiq - "Love That Girl"

By July 10, 2008

Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See ItIf you hadn't heard, singer-songwriter-producer Raphael Saadiq (of Tony! Toni! Toné! and Lucy Pearl fame) is getting ready to drop his fourth solo album, The Way I See It, this fall. And for this project, Ra has a classic Soul theme working, proving once again that since the success of Amy Winehouse, retro Soul has become the trend to follow. Anyway, the first official single from the album is "Love That Girl," an early-'60s soundalike track about - you got it - loving that girl. It's very sweet in an innocent way, reminiscent of Mary Wells' 1964 hit "My Guy." Not sure how contemporary R&B fans will receive it, but at least Saadiq's trying something outside the norm. The Way I See It will be out on Sept. 16, but in the meantime, you can stream "Love That Girl" by clicking the link below.

Image © Columbia Records.

Comments

July 10, 2008 at 8:43 am
(1) Charles J. Talley says:

I will be the first in line. I love it. The music is simple and you can really undertstand the words. Man, what a concept.

Charles Talley

July 10, 2008 at 11:03 am
(2) Eb the Celeb says:

I love this record and cant wait for the album

July 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm
(3) dunn says:

come one…R.Saadiq has been a part of the soul movement since tone tone tone. Amy Winehouse had NOTHING to do with this album’s flow. Check your history and you will see that she is following him.

July 26, 2008 at 3:36 pm
(4) Eb says:

I LOVE THIS RECORD

October 2, 2008 at 2:23 am
(5) Tony Grier says:

What timing for this comeback talent. His ” Love that girl” is a classic and at a time when the nation looks to a new era in political leadership in our country.

I can’t help but see the connection with his song, the 60s’ and now the political times of today. It’s like ths song is a reminder, to those who are of age to remember, our time has come. Just listen and take yourself back to a time when the dreams were so far in front o us.

God Bless Raphael Saadiq. I think Martin, Malcolm & Bobby are dancing in heaven!

January 10, 2009 at 11:44 am
(6) meat says:

That’s the man!!!!! He’s real, he know how to make you feel good about yourself. That’s right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!